Saturday, February 9, 2008

Target has been reached and hit!

A recent article by the NY Times, (you can find this article at http://http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/28/business/media/28target.html?_r=2&ex=1359176400&en=f66406c7732b555d&ei=50&oref=slogin) explains complaints by parents on a "Target" ad that showed (lets just say) a woman's certain spot at the center of the bullseye.Truthfully I didn't even notice it in the target ad picture until I read this article. First of all, I don't think Target had even noticed anything that was wrong in this picture til someone pointed it out. I also believe that people overthink and get "overmad" about these kinds of things I mean if you look at the picture there's no other way the photographer who was in charge could of really taken the picture differently. Really all the setup of the picture had to do with was what the photographer thought looked good and complete, so he probably thought "mmmmmmmm......lets have her stretch out to be the length of the target", not," oooo...I'm going to take a risque picture with her "spot" on the bullseye and then get myself fired because that would be the smartest thing to do." I mean it's sort of like those pictures that paparazzi's take of celebrities and people look at the picture so hard they notice a stain on the celebrities shirt and get so into why and how she may have gotten that stain. I mean they wouldn't be doing that if I walked out of restaurant with a stain.



These kind of people who take everything so literally for what they see, drive me crazy. I think that Target didn't even realize what was bad about the picture at first. (I mean heck I didn't even know that there logo was a target until probably a year ago.)



As for what effect these kind of ads have on the kids. It has none what so ever! The kids could care less about the picture and what's going on in the picture and I bet if you put the picture in front of a kindergartener he or she couldn't tell you one bad thing that was going on in that picture.



Just leave Target alone!



--KP

1 comment:

Umang Patel said...

I would have to totally agree with your opinion on the Target advertisement. It is all in the dirty minds of these adults that misinterpret the target ad to be derogatory. They need to get their minds out of the gutter and understand why the picture is taken the way it is. It seems like the picture was taken to maintain proper symmetry and balance, so it would only make sense to keep the center of the body at the center of the target, the head at the top and the feet at the bottom. It is true that kids probably wouldn't even consider the advertisement to be offensive because they are still innocent, and the picture does not expose anything. It is all in the minds of people to create their own mental image and to take away the message they want from the ad. As for Target's response to the person's complaints, it seems like they just had an unexperienced person answering emails in their PR department.