Saturday, February 23, 2008

R&L:Classicool Music?

Recently I have done some research about classical music and the "dwindling popularity" of the type of music in the West (the U.S.) Classical music used to be the "rap" of our time hundred to thousands of years ago. But suddenly this music that was once played so much is now not being played much at all.
As you may have known I am a classical musician as well as a classical music composer. And many of my good friends are classical musicians and as I can tell there is a lot of interest in classical music, R&B and other music is taking over. Since classical music has dimmed in popularity in the U.S. many kids of this generation view classical music as boring, slow music. But many of these kids are just ignorant to what is out there in the means of today exciting classical music.
The other thing that bothers me with kids false thoughts of classical music is how many kids think classical music is stupid and pointless, but actually without classical music there would be no R&B, jazz, hip-hop or yes linworth kids there would be no ROCK! O my gosh! All of these types of music came from influences of different composers for example Rock mainly came from the ideas and compositions of Richard Wagner who composed dark, fast and exciting symphonies.
One other pet peeve I have about people's perception of classical music (well more specifically orchestra) is how people at school will ask me "are you in band?" and I'll say "no, i'm in orchestra" and then they say "ooo so you are in the band." I mean orchestra came to the Earth before the band ever came, that is just really annoying.

So next time you think classical music is stupid, pointless or boring. Raise your conscienseness, as Larry would say, and expand your boundaries by searching what you think may be exciting classicool music like for example maybe you like Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture or just look more into classical music and how it really plays such a big role in music in our world. My suggestions if your looking for exciting classical music is Brahms quartets, Shostakovich quartet or just pretty much anything that you like, there's a lot of classical music out there and you'll probably find something that you'll find exciting. Alright talk to you guys later.

To learn more about present classical music and it's popularity status look at this article for more info. http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5iA4L1NlFZ-xtoY-KQZETQUOawOyw

--KP

1 comment:

Miriam Hitchcock said...

band's better though :P

kidding, kidding. This post made me super happy. By the way, all, Gustav Holst is my king. I hereby reccomend as well The Planets (by Holst), especially Mars and Jupiter.