Sunday, February 17, 2008

Pesonal Opinion of Tipping Point Ch.3

Personally I remember vividly the times I would wake up early in the morning to watch Sesame Street or Blue's Clues or even Barney when I was real little. And I remember wondering when I was little why I liked one show better than the others and what was it about that show that kept making me want to watch the show. And in Chapter 3 of the Tipping Point that is what Gladwell talks about, the educational "virus", how it starts and spreads.
But honestly the grown-ups talk about how these shows are very educational to the children and how children enjoy learning things from the show. But when I was little I remember learning rarely anything except for the Barney song from educational shows, so I do believe that these educational shows don't make as much as an impact when we're little because also half the time when you turn on a show for some toddler to watch, they pay attention for maybe the first minute or so, but then totally forget about the show and think about other things or start to do other things.
What I do find amazing is how recently there have been very many epidemics over many new learning tools that companies like Fisher-Price for example make and how parents currently will do anything and will buy anything if it makes their kid smarter or happier, which don't get me wrong isn't a bad thing, but honestly I don't believe these learning toys and games really teach kids as much as the parents think it teaches their kids. But I can be wrong. That's just my opinion.

I do think Gladwell does bring up great points to why these shows create a "stickiness factor" that makes us become glued or in a sense become addicted to certain shows for specific reasons.

So far I really like this book.

--KP

1 comment:

Jennifer Woods said...

When it comes to education and television and stickiness, I don't think you can overlook recent programming on channels like the HIstory channel, Discovery channel, TLC. Programs like mythbusters and Survivorman are both informative and engaging. We want to watch and we want to learn, and what's more is we then spread what we know. I don't know why its taken so long, but I am so glad that we have Sesame Street and Blues Clues for gorwnups!