Sunday, March 9, 2008

R&R: Chapter 5 of "The Tipping Point"

Hey guys, haven't talked to you in a while so anyway lately I have been still reading the book the Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell and I figure I would tell you about the chapter I had just read, Chapter 5.
In Chapter 5 of the Tipping Point Gladwell explains the second part of what he calls the Power of Context. In the first sector of the chapter it talks about how the epidemic of this practically unknown author's book called Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood turned into a bestseller what was the process of it reaching the bestseller status? Gladwell in this sector finds that the explanation for the epidemic was simple, Gladwell says "the book was heartwarming and beautifully written," and it also did so well because it spoke to the common person. There was also the fact that Wells was a once-in-a while actress that helped sells. Wells was what they called a classic salesman and as I enjoy watching salesmen try to sell it's a lot of how you present your product. The success of this book is truly a great example of how the Power of Context works. Also Gladwell explains how if a popular person thinks the book is great they spread the word about the book then connectors connect people to the book and the cycle is repeated many many times til the book reaches it's tipping point.
In sector two of the chapter Gladwell talks about the channel capacity concept. This refers to the amount of space in our brain for certain kinds of info. For example he explains why some have perfect pitch and other do not. Not surprisingly human beings can't handle a lot of info at once, I know that at some of my family reunions I have ten people talking to me at once but I can't process what each and everyone is saying if they're saying it at the same time. But the concept of
channel capacity is what seperates humans from the rest, because we have the power to break down and understand complex information.
Finally in the last part of the chapter it talks about the changes in the environment that is external from us and how it extremely effects how we behave personally and how it shapes our personality. Gladwell also talks about in this sector the process of memory and how must of us really only remember a small fraction of the day, from day-to-day. But the Power of Context really does play a huge effect on our life and how our life is run.

Coming to the end of the book, hope it keeps getting better and better.

--KP

No comments: