Sunday, April 6, 2008

Iraq: How I Feel...

The situation in Iraq is a not a complete blur to me, but close to one. Unfortunately, I have to say that I am not as knowledgeable about Iraq as I would like. And a lot of times people that I meet will ask me, 'so how do you feel about the situation in Iraq?' and my response is usually ,'I don't know.' What I do know though is that there are many pro's and con's to both arguments and to both sides of the issue on whether to keep troops in Iraq or not. I feel that the response of 'I don't know' is the best response, for me at least, because first of all, it's the truth and if I were to really say anything else I would by lying. Second of all, I believe it's not my responsibility to know what to do in Iraq because i'm only 15 and even though I may like having my opinion out there so everyone can hear it in some cases, though this case is not one of those cases.
My french teacher once said to me, that the one thing to definetly avoid in a conversation is politics, because it can turn the nicest people into the meanest and depending on your views it can ruin any kind of realtionship you once had with another person. And I believe full-heartedly in that statement.
Also, it really bothers me when people ask each other about upcoming presidiential candidates and whether we should believe in the democratic system or the republican system. The reason why this bothers me is because people constantly are just voting for the pres. candidate that is in the republican party or in the democratic party just because they are listed as a democrat or republican. And I believe that democratic or republican, the right thing to do in respect to voting for presidential candidates, is to vote for the candidate that is the best. Democratic or Republican.
I also believe that all political parties has done to this country is split us in half, which in result gets rid of the meaning of "unity" that our forefathers had thrived upon. And believe it or not, what some consider the greatest man in the history of our country, George Washington, was seriously opposed to the idea of political parties and what they would eventually do to our country and unfortuantely with the things going on currently among our political parties, I believe that his thought of what political parties would do to this country is quickly coming true.

--KP

2 comments:

Miriam Hitchcock said...

May I disagree? Well, I do. I'll start with the end. How can Washington's prediction quickly be coming true when there were already political parties with very stron differences when he was president? The country's made it pretty far by now, I'd say. And we're not on the verge of civil war or anything.

I would prefer to look at candidates as people and how they will do for the job. But my political views tend to be quite liberal. I don't agree with the republican platform.

And of course I don't completely agree with the democratic platform either. There are too many issues. But the fact is that there is an underlying similarity to the logic behind what developed the positions. OK, I'm sorry, this is taking forever and I am being yelled at to get off the computer. I have more to say.

Miriam Hitchcock said...

Anyway, it's kind of interesting that you take issue with people not caring so much about their candidate so long as they're in a certain party because in many countries, people don't even vote for individuals; they vote for a party. Now, I'm not saying that's what we should do here, I'm just saying that it seems to work in other places.

I suspect that the solutions given to democrats being widely agreed upon by most democrats and the same being true for republicans doesn't so much mean that people just follow their party on issues they don't know about than the fact that there is a similar way of reaching the decisions for all the issues within a party. So, if you like the position of a party on one issue, you often find that if you come to your conclusions the same way for another issue, you'll agree with the same party.