Sunday, April 6, 2008

The Tipping Point

I finally finished the Tipping Point!!! Overall I thought the book was well written and had great theories, but it was a bit of a bore sometimes. I liked and didn't like the book in the end of it. The reason I didn't like the book so much is because I realized out of all these theories Malcolm Gladwell had, what were so world changing about them or what made them breaking news theories. You know, recently on my way down to Florida, I created a new theory on my own called the boom n' bust theory. When I explained the theory to my dad, he asked me "so what is so big or special about this theory that will change life as we know it," and then I realized that all my theory was, was just a simple observation that I made that knowone else that I know of has made. But when he said that, I started to immediately think about the Tipping Point and Malcolm Gladwell's different theories that he stated in the book. I wondered, what was so amazing or life-changing about these theories, and I came to the conclusion that none of the theories in the book could change life as we know it, so what was so special about them? I guess these theories were just simple observations that wouldn't really be life-changing. So after thinking about it I did not enjoy the book and the impressive "observations" made by Gladwell as much as I would've liked.
But I still believe it is a great book and I would recommend reading, for the great writing and for just the knowledge that these theories give you but they may no be life-changing in a physical sense but they do have an impact on how you see the world around you as well as what you think about the people around it.

--KP

No comments: